My electric hot water system has broken down. Do I call an electrician or plumber?

We understand when your not in the industry it can be confusing as to what tradesman you need when your hot water system fails. What makes this even trickier is both of these trades are licensed and have tasks that the other can’t legally complete.

A plumber is licensed and trained professional that can legally work on the water service. In addition to holding a plumbing license, a maintenance plumber will often also hold a Restricted Electrical License. This additional training and qualification allows them to test, disconnect and reconnect electrical appliances or components meaning in 99% of hot water breakdowns they can repair your electric hot water system.

An electrician is licensed to work on the electrical side of the hot water system only and can not legally work on the water supply side.

Here is a list of the possible failures of a hot water system, including who could suitably repair the fault in an efficient manner

Note, we have assumed that the plumber has conducted additional licensing training and requirements and holds a restricted electrical license

  • Duo Valve = Plumber
  • Pressure limiting valve = Plumber
  • Tempering valve = Plumber
  • Cold water relief valve = Plumber
  • Temperature pressure relief valve = Plumber
  • Leaking pipework or join = Plumber
  • Failing pump = Plumber
  • Failing thermostat = Plumber or Electrician
  • Failing element or element gasket = Plumber or Electrician
  • Off peak relay = electrical supplier or plumber or electrician
  • Failing electrical supply (We have seen this once in 7 years and repairs 1000’s of hot water systems) = Electrician
  • Burst or leaking tank = Plumber

We are often called to attend to a hot water system breakdown that a client has already paid to have there electrician come out and tell them they can not fix the issue and require a plumber. Normally, when we ask the client why they called an electrician they reply “because we still had water at the tap, it just wasn’t hot”. Unfortunately, when this is the case whilst it could be on of the few tasks that an electrician and a plumber can do, it is also just as likely to be one of the other components such as a failing tempering valve or tprv valve.

As an electrician is not licensed to work on the water side of the hot water system, even if it is an electrical failure there advice may be swayed by the limitations to what they can personally do to help you out. For example, if an element failed on a system that was well out of warranty and had signs of internal rust a plumber could give you 2 options, repair the unit and get a limited warranty on the new parts only or replace the unit and get a new 12 year warranty on the tank. An electrician would be limited to just offering the parts replacement as they can not legally replace the entire tank.

Additionally, 2 of the valves, tempering and tprv, should be replaced every 5 years as per the manufacture ‘s instructions including the note on the side of the tank. If you opt to replace these at the same time it is much more efficient to do it in a single visit. A plumber could give you this as an option to your repair where as an electrician could not.

Now you could be thinking, “wow, this plumber really doesn’t like electricians”, but that’s not the case at all. Just because we follow them around construction site’s cleaning up the mess that they are renound for leaving behind and have to hear them all make the same joke every time we meet regarding which direction sewage will flow in a pipe which must get taught in the first year of their apprenticeship, we don’t mind them. I probably wouldn’t by one a beer, but I would wave if we passed on the street.

All jokes aside, if your hot water system has broken down, we recommend hiring a licensed plumber that also holds a restricted electrical license.
Wow. That just so happens to be us 🙂

Book online and save 10% off the service call fee.

Google Reviews

  • Gillian Sloan

    From my first conversation with Tom, I was treated in a very professional manner. The quote I was given was fair. Nathan and Aaron were two polite young men who dealt with my plumbing problem promptly and expertly, leaving my house so clean. Excellent workmanship and customer care. I highly recommend Water Tight Canberra. Thank you!!

    View in

  • Geoff Young

    We have been chasing a plumber for months in Canberra, when today we saw Water tight in their van at a neighbor. One call and the wonderful receptionist organised for Aaron to come over in his Lunch and fix our major shower blockage. What can I say, OMG!!! This is service, Aaron would not settle for anything less than perfection. Pulled the shower apart, explained in detail to me everything that was happening and found the annoying problem. A old piece of plastic off the washer stuck in the pipe. He even gave me great advice on our toilet issues and over pressure issues. Unbelievable service, more intent on fixing the problem and doing it right than ripping us off. I wholeheartedly recommend Water Tight Canberra and especially Aaron as the no 1 plumbing service in Australia.

    View in

  • darko reljic

    Hooked up my new sink and works great

    View in

  • Allan Baxter

    I arrived at my townhouse on a Friday afternoon at about 1:30 after a week away to find that the hot water service had sprung a leak during my absence. I called Water Tight and a representative (Tom) was here within an hour. After an inspection and quotation Tom undertook to replace the HWS that day and did so with two other members of staff. I was very favourably impressed with the prompt and efficient service. I would recommend Water Tight to anyone with an urgent plumbing problem.

    View in

  • vylan07

    Water Tight provided an excellent job on 25/02/2019. They located the burst water pipe and repaired it immediately. We are so happy with the great service and the professional crew. I strongly recommend this company for any plumbing need that you have.

    View in

Recent Blog Posts

Toilet Bidet’s and Douche Sprays in Canberra

There is no doubt about it, toilets have moved into the 21st century, or at least Western culture is finally catching up with our foreign friends who have been using water to wash for many centuries. There are many reasons people choose to use bidet toilet seats or douche sprays. Whether you choose to use […]

Read More

The long term effect of failing Stormwater Pipework in Canberra and why you should fix them.

Blocked stormwater pipework in Canberra is one of the easiest pieces of building infrastructure to ignore, despite it also being one of the most important. Stormwater pipework is designed catch and divert rain water away from the building and property by carrying it through the stormwater mains and into our natural rivers where it will […]

Read More
Canberra Plumber Online Security

Online Security Case Study for Telstra Business Intelligence

Online security is a must for all businesses operating in this day and age in order to protect their customers and employees personal data. Water Tight Canberra where recently identified by Telstra Business Intelligence as being an exemplary business when it comes to online security due to our knowledge, system’s and practices that help keep […]

Read More
  • Available

    24hrs 7 Days a week

  • Servicing

    Canberra, ACT and region

  • Call us


  • Book a local Canberra Plumber Online now and save 10%* off the service call fee.

    Book Online - Save 10%*