Hi Guys and Girls,
Just this last week I have seen a couple of customer’s gas installations in Canberra that were frankly quite dangerous. After chatting with my customers I realised there was a need for a bit of a gas safety tip guide, so here it is.
7 Gas Safety Tips
- Keep your gas meter clear and make sure there is room for ventilation. You should keep plants and bins a minimum of 1.5 meters away.
- Never store flammable items, flammable liquids or aerosol cans near your gas meter or gas appliances
- Always use a licensed Gasfitter to service, install and repair gas appliances and gas pipe work
- Ensure that your gas appliances are serviced at least every two years. Note – Some gas appliances will stipulate in the user manual that they should be serviced annually and this should be adhered to.
- Install a carbon monoxide detector. These can be purchased from Bunnings for a reasonable price and look almost identical to a standard smoke alarm or alternatively we can supply and install one at your next service.
- If you smell a build-up of unburnt gas turn the gas supply off at the meter. If it is safe todo so open all windows to ventilate the area and Call Water Tight Canberra immediately for a leak detection.
- Know the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. If you suspect your gas appliance is putting out carbon monoxide turn it off straight away and book in a service. Carbon monoxide is a dangerous gas that is a by-product of burning natural gas or LPG and can kill when appliances are faulty and have not been serviced.
Carbon Monoxide Symptoms Include:
- Nausea or vomiting
- Shortness of breath
- Blurred vision
- Loss of consciousness
So please remember, Gas is a fantastic and efficient form of energy when treated with respect. Not following any one of these tips could see you and your family in harm’s way.