Is your toilet constantly running?
Common symptoms include:
- Toilet leaking water non stop
- Constant hissing noise from the toilet
- Toilet filling up by itself every hour or so
- Water on the floor
- High water bills
Leaking toilets can add hundreds or even thousands of dollars to your water bill. In fact at least every month or two Water Tight Canberra is called to a leaking toilet as Icon Water have sent a notice of possible burst water pipe due to high water consumption. Two recent examples include a tenant who was ignoring the leaking toilet and then received a $2500 water bill and a commercial client who had a leaking urinal and received a $6000 bill.
Quick methods to test for leaks on toilets:
- Hold some toilet paper to the back of the toilet bowl. You will see the paper dampen if the toilet is leaking
- Put talcum powder on the back of the toilet bowl
- Put food dye in the toilet cistern. Warning – This method should only be used if the cistern lid comes off easily. A lot of customers do further damage to their toilet cisterns by forcing lids to come off.